Skip to main content

CMA CGM to Build World’s Largest Containerships at Chinese Yards


French shipping group CMA CGM plans to build nine of the world’s largest container ships at two Chinese shipyards, the state-run China Daily newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding Co confirmed that it and its sister yard Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding (Group) Co, had received a letter of intent from CMA CGM for the ships, which would be capable of carrying 22,000 20-foot equivalent unit containers (TEU), the newspaper said.
The final order was subject to board approval from both sides, the newspaper said. Both yards are owned by state-run China State Shipbuilding Corporation.
CMA CGM did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Calls to Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding and Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding outside office hours were not immediately answered.
Should they be built, CMA CGM’s 22,000 TEU vessels will leapfrog the OOCL Hong Kong to take the crown of the world’s largest container ships. The OOCL Hong Kong has a carrying capacity of 21,413 TEU.
Global container shipping lines in recent years have been competing to build the biggest ships in order to gain economies of scale to slash shipping costs. However, such mega-ships are also being blamed for contributing to the overcapacity glut plaguing the container industry.

Image of CMA CGM CALLISTO with IMO 9410753 with GBR flag passing CMA CGM MAGELLAN with IMO 9454424 with GBR flag off Marsaxlokk Harbour, Malta back to 23rd October, 2010 - www.maltashipphotos.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Destroyer Challenges China’s Claims in South China Sea August 10, 2017  by  Reuters By Idrees Ali WASHINGTON, Aug 10 (Reuters) – A U.S. Navy destroyer carried out a “freedom of navigation operation” on Thursday, coming within 12 nautical miles of an art Tensions on the Korean Peninsula have risen recently after North Korea carried out two nuclear tests last year and two ICBM tests last month, prompting a strong round of U.N. sanctions. That angered Pyongyang which has threatened to teach the United States a “severe lesson.” Trump responded by warning North Korea it would face “fire and fury” if it further threatened the United States. ificial island built up by China in the South China Sea, U.S. officials told Reuters. The operation came as President Donald Trump’s administration seeks Chinese cooperation in dealing with North Korea’s missile and nuclear programs and could complicate efforts to secure a common stance. The officials, speaking on condition o...
MAERSK INVENTOR at Malta - 18.05.2018. The 2018 built Isle of Man  flagged (IOM) Subsea Support Vessel (SSV)   MAERSK INVENTOR   entered Valletta (Grand Harbour), Malta for the first time on Friday 18th May, 2018 at 0715 hrs. She's the third out of four Stingray Class Subsea Support Vessel. Maersk  ordered a series of four Stingray vessels in 2014. Designed together with Marin Teknikk, the ships are built as a platform to carry out deep and shallow water operations. With an energy efficient propulsion set-up, these DP 3 vessels feature a 400-ton active heave compensated (AHC) crane and two work class remotely operated underwater vehicles (ROVs) capable of operating in a water depth of up to 3,000 meters. Below are some images of MAERSK INVENTOR entering Valletta - At 0938 hrs the 1977 built bunkering tanker SANTA MARIA secured her booms to start bunkering the vessel.  And at 1902 hrs she left Val...
Last Voyage - SEVEN OSPREY at Malta - 05.01 - 17.02.2018. The 1984 built LBR flag diving and light construction  vessel SEVEN OSPREY  left Valletta (Grand Harbour), Malta on Saturday 17th February, 2018 from Bormla Wharf at Palumbo Malta Shipyard Ltd after she entered Valletta on Friday 5th January berthing at the Mediterranean Maritime Hub (MMH) and shifted to Palumbo on Saturday 6th January. She was built as the SEACOM until January 1986, NORSKALD until January 1990, SEAWAY OSPREY until February 2006 and ACERY OSPREY until January 2013 and she was the oldest ship in versatile and modern fleet of Subsea 7.   Below images are of her entering Valletta, back on Friday 5th January, 2018 -  Below images are of her shifting at Valletta, back on Saturday 6th January, 2018 -  Below images are of her leaving Valletta on Saturday 17th February, 2018 -  Photos by Capt. Lawrence Dalli. Do not use these ima...